Sunday, July 15, 2007

Natural Insect Repellent

I've received two questions this week on alternatives to insect repellents that contain DEET, so I figure it would make a great blog. Before blogging, I turned to my sister, Regina (naturalist, camper extraordinaire) for advice. Here is the recipe that she uses:

Lemon Balm essential oil
Citronella essential oil
Tea Tree essential oil

She combines these oils, puts them in a spray bottle, and uses the mixture for camping and other outdoor activities. When we last visited her, the kids and I used it while we did some yard work and it worked exceptionally well! Also, she only uses the mixture on her clothes, not her skin, which is good advice no matter what insect repellent you choose to use. Of course, if you are visiting a nude beach, then I guess that won't do you a bit of good!

Repel also carries a DEET-free insect repellent that is worth a try. It contains lemon eucalyptus, and also works for deer ticks. I also want to add to remember to spray your animals if they stay outside. Those bugs can be ferocious! I hope this has helped out, and if any of you wonderful moms have more tips to add, please post them.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I am really working on getting on track to a more healthy lifestyle...trying organic foods for the first time, soy milk, and really examining things before I eat or use them. This leads me to the essential oils that you wrote about. Where do you get these oils? Thanks for your help.